Thursday, April 25, 2013

Secret Prayer

"There is an hour of peace and rest, unmarred by earthly care; 'tis when before the Lord I go and kneel in secret prayer. The straight and narrow way to heav'n, where angels bright and fair are are singing to God's praise, is found thru constant secret prayer. When sailing on life's stormy sea, 'mid billows of despair, 'tis solace to my soul to know God hears my secret prayer. When thorns are strewn along my path, and foes my feet ensnare, my Savior to my aid will come, if sought in secret prayer. May my heart be turned to pray, pray in secret day by day, that this boon to mortals giv'n may unite my soul with heav'n." 
(Hans Henry Petersen, Hymns #144)

There is a joy to be found by all when we kneel in humble prayer. A joy that comes from our thanks to God and with our daily cares. He's there for us, and He loves us dear, so each day we turn to Him. A Father who cares, who lifts us up, like a child stumbling down.

This world is full of obstacles, and things that slow us down. The world is full of tragedies, and things that make us sad. Life is full of crags and cliffs, that make it seem so hard. That is why, with all our hearts, we turn and plead with Him.

When a child cries in the dead of night, the parent rushes in. Afraid for their child they hold them in their arms. They wipe the tears and kiss the cheeks and try to calm them down.

Where is it that children turn, when a question fills their mind? Where is it that a child goes to take away their pain? Where is it a child comes to talk about their day? Where is it a child runs when life brings them down?

I hope that the answer is obvious, they go to their parents. That is who God is, our parent. He is the one that holds us in our deepest despair and whispers we are safe. He holds us when the times are rough and He points us on our way. He knows who we are, and He loves us dear, and does anything that He can.

His love is perfect for each of us, yet He doesn't overstep His bounds. He respects us, so He doesn't interfere. He wants us to come to Him with all of our cares and needs. That is what prayer is, our way to talk with our Heavenly Father.

So once again,
"When sailing on life's stormy sea, 'mid billows of despair, 'tis solace to my soul to know God hears my secret prayer. May my heart be turned to pray, pray in secret day by day, that this boon to mortals giv'n may unite my soul with heav'n."
Pray, and life's challenges are lighter to bear. God loves each of us, and I know this to be true with all of my heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment