Friday, August 16, 2013

Kodjoviakopé: A New Chapter‏

Dear people of the United Followers of Elder Haggard,
 In brief, I hope to be more spiritual today. I want to share with each of you the great blessings that I am receiving each day here on my mission, and so with that I will begin by telling you about a few of our members and investigators.
I’d like to first talk about Peniel, perhaps I have mentioned him before; he is a charming and loving and amazing little fella. He is a recent convert to the church, having joined at the end of March. He is essentially the boss of Kodjoviakopé. He is twenty years old, like yours truly, and he has friends all over the place, in fact my only baptism in this area is because Peniel referred him to the missionaries. He helps us out with everything and he loves going out with the missionaries and participating in the lessons that we give to our investigators. He is what you would call “super black” and I don’t find that racist when other people here say that he is “tros noir” (too black). He is awesome!
He brought over one of his friends this week, who happens to be a tailor, and I was able to place an order for a pine suit. It isn’t really a suit but that is what they call the matching set of clothes. I will get those later tonight and so I am stoked for that!
Onto another member, he is named Lawson, or Frere Lawson for short. ;) He is a BOSS! He has been a member for just over a year and he knows the gospel extremely well. Each time we go to visit him he has questions and he understands our teachings and can restate it clearly to show that he actually does.  He is a divorced man, he looks old but I am not really sure. He is the older gentleman in one of the pictures that I have sent.

The only family in our group here is Marcelin, Inés, and Morgan. Morgan is the cute little girl with the sunglasses in one of the pictures. They are a cute family, though they never sit with one another in church… They are really close at home watching movies and singing les cantiques together. That is the doing of Soeur Inés, she wanted to learn the cantiques better and so they are all learning together. It is fun, and funny. The Togolais are not famous for having the most beautiful voices, but that doesn’t detract from the spirit that is present as they put their hearts into singing. Morgan still doesn’t know how to speak or read French being so young, she remains purely Ewe.
I will now talk about two investigators, the first one is Melanie. She is the mother of two children, and she is married to a Swiss man. Her children are white, well white-ish. I don’t know the proper way of saying that. They are called Coreen and Charlie, a boy and a girl. Both are really young, Coreen is still being breastfed… don’t ask how I know that.
The problem is that I feel as though she smokes, not that I have seen her actually indulging in such a reckless habit, but a fresh cigarette smell and her husband having been at work for hours points to one thing…. Santa Clause vacations in Togo and smokes in random people’s houses and blames the woman that has recently given birth! How rude!
She is a young woman, I would say around 24, and she lives in a really nice (Africa nice) house with a working washing machine! I am jealous, though I shouldn’t be. All she wants is for God to be in her life and that she can spend forever with her family… PERFECT!!! :D I don’t know what more we can ask for when our whole message is about how families are meant to be Eternal and that through the gospel that can happen. Our first lesson I was smiling the whole time.
The next investigator I can call mine solely for my companion cannot teach him because he doesn’t speak French. His name is Precious and he is Nigerian. He, oh boy, he is awesome! He came to church on the first invitation, he has started reading the Book of Mormon and has lots of questions and he understands the necessity for a living prophet. He is going to be meeting with us each Wednesday and Saturday, and hopefully coming to church each Sunday with us. He lives right next door to Edem.
I say next door but in reality the people live in what are called “parsols” or quelque chose comme ça. I will liken it unto a gated community. You see, you have to pass through the same gate to get to their houses, but all the houses are connected and are the same building and about the same size of a regular house/yard back in the states. So, crammed into this little area are about 10 families each of them having about four kids. It is a party!
So, now onto the events of the week! Frere Alex has been released! He is no longer the boss of Kodjoviakopé. He has been replaced with Marcelin as the group leader and Frere Lawson as his assistant! It is the turning of a new page and lo and behold a chapter comes with it. 
Frere Alex
We are throwing a little party for Frere Alex on Wednesday and so that is where I hope to get my picture with him taken. Yes, that is my one hope, to take a picture with Frere Alex. Apparently prayers were answered. Haha, that reminds me of what Soeur Sonia said after she heard him be released by President Ah-me-gan-gee (phonetics), he is the President of the Lomé Togo District of the Mission Benin Cotonou. So listen to Frere Marcelin’s actual title… “Group Leader of the Group of Kodjoviakopé of the Branch of Souza-netimé of the District of Lomé Togo of the Benin Cotonou Mission.” It is a mouthful. :) 
A little quote that I will like to leave you all with, “Un grand indicateur de la conversion personnelle est le désir de faite connaître l’évangile aux autres . »  Howard W. Hunter.
I love you all! Thanks for your many prayers, and I hope you all have a wonderful week!
-- 
Elder Robert Eugene Haggard II


No comments:

Post a Comment