Monday, December 23, 2013

Joyeaux Noel! It's (not) Beginning to Look A Lot Like Christmas!‏

Dearest Family and Friends,

The Holidays have snuck up on us and this week is the week the rest of the world is celebrating the birth of our Savior Jesus Christ, while here in Togo Christmas "is for the children." Sadness of the world when they let significant moments like these pass them by and they don't appreciate it. Then again, despite the angels harking to the lowly shepherds of the fields, the luminous star shining in the east, and the predictions of countless prophets announcing the signs of His birth, the Savior of the world was born in a manger. The Son of Man came to save us from our sins, and the world went on as though nothing important was happening.

I appreciate the simplicity that the Savior embodied as He was here upon the earth. He sought not the fanfare of the courts of Israel, or the praise of the Roman influence, He came simply to do, not His own will, but the will of He that sent Him, God our loving Heavenly Father. Isn't that amazing?

I know, from many attempts of my own, that it is extremely difficult to let go of our selfish desires and cling solely to the desire of our Heavenly Father. It is funny how a loving Father willing to give us ALL that He has somehow comes second to the carnal desires that we carry within us. We just need to learn a little more about looking inward rather than outward. That is the spirit of Christmas I believe, to give freely to those that you love.

That idea goes along more with the embodiment of our Savior, for as the simplicity of our Savior's life has shown us the grandeur of giving, we realize that His coming into the world was inevitably to give ALL that He had for us, even unto the laying down of His life. What then did He ask of us? The most specific term that comes to mind is "Come Follow Me." We become His true disciples in living His example, by giving all that we can to those we love, and those that have hurt us, and finding the love for those that have injured our own hearts. You find love for those around you, as you find ways to give to them, not money, not presents, but by giving unto them love, simply love.

I would implore each of you, those that I love, to find someone and reach out to them. Bring them into a warm and welcome home, show them true Christianity by becoming like unto the Christ Himself.

Now, a little about the happenings here in Bè-Kpota! Funny tidbit about the name Bè-Kpota, Bè is another part of Lomé, and Kpota means hill, so Bè-Kpota means the hill of Bè. Cool how they throw words like that together to tell you where you are... I still don't find it as effective as an actual address system, but good enough I guess.

Sad day here, Elder Ringle is being transferred to Adidogamé, the "village." He is getting transferred sometime this week, which is horrible to have to move Christmas week. I will be getting Elder Oliverson in my apartment, they happen to be MTC companions, so I met him as well in the MTC during my Referral Center days. He is a cool cat too, but I'll be missing me some Elder Ringle. I think that is the hardest part of the mission, leaving behind the friends that you have made in each of your areas and heading off to make more that you will eventually leave behind.

So we had our Fête de Noel the 17th and it was great! We got to eat lots of rice, and chicken, and "salad," and the Christensen's made us some delicious cashew and chocolate chip brownie thing! Each district sang a cantique de noel, and then President Weed played his guitar and sang us a song about Joseph (the Papa of Jesus). It was a fun day! However...

So, when we have long activities that take up a large portion of the day, it is usually a "day off" but the Assistants to the President chose our district to do splits with afterwards... It was fun, but it was tiring. We missionaries are the WORST creatures of habits, and anything that changes in our days automatically destroys or stamina. I speak in general based on what I have seen here, but perhaps there are those zealous missionaries that are impervious to the effects of schedule change and I tip my hat to them!

 *I do in fact have a hat, but my companion refuses to go out with me if I wear it, it makes us look like Jehovah's Witnesses.*

Next on the week was my JOUR D'O.V.B.! I got to go on splits with Elder Ringle on Thursday and nigh on all of our appointments fell through, so we went to Emergency Procedure number 1 for missionaries, we went tracting. Luckily, we had success! We found us some new investigators! I have hope for two that we found because after making the initial contact, he took us to talk with his sister! A contact! They both seemed interested, but due to it being Christmas week it is hard to find time to meet with them again this week, so we shall see.

That is all that I've got to talk about, just know that I am alive, I love my mission, I love my Savior, I love all my friends, I love my family, and only I will know how important and vital each of these are in my temporal and eternal life.

LOVE YOU ALL!! MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!

--
Sincerely,
Elder Robert Haggard

Mission Bénin Cotonou
Cadjehoun Lot°1158 Bloc F
01 BP 3323 
Cotonou, Bénin

No comments:

Post a Comment