Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Valentine's Day Mission Style‏

Dearest ........, (Fill in your relation/personal view on our relation)

It has been a long week with all the stuffsies goin' on ici-bàs. Like
you all know, I got the call last week that I am receiving a new
companion, but his beautiful and welcome face has yet to appear in
Bè-Kpota. The MTC in Ghana let us know, somewhat ahead of time, that
there was difficulty in finding them flight plans, so it may not be
until this Saturday that he comes. :( :(

In all honesty, this week hasn't been one of the most fruitful on my
mission... Due to Elder Kouadio's depart we had to say good-bye to
members and investigators, there is nothing worse than having to wait
a week until you are transferred, habitually the call comes
Friday/Saturday and you leave Tuesday morning. I wish that I had
things to share with you all... I am just eagerly anticipating the
arrival of Elder .....!!

Elder Kouadio's last day was Friday, which happened to be Valentine's
Day... Essentially I got "dumped" on Valentine's Day and left working
in a tri-comp for the past few days. I appreciate the learning
experience of having to manage time wisely to teach effectively in
this form of companionship, but I much prefer two by two rather than
in threes. You have a developed balance between you and your
companion, but when a "third-wheel" tags along it throws you all off.
(It's worse being that third-wheel.)

I heard a talk recently, but I failed to remember who was speaking. In
the discourse that was given there was an idea that stood out to me
amongst the rest. They spoke about action, about simply doing things,
but everyone seems to always worry about timing and whatnot which
creates a barrier impeding one's success. Everyone waits for that
"perfect moment" when everything will just work out the best, but the
emphasis was on doing the best things at the worst times. How
profound!

I did a bit of that introspection stuff and realized that it is so
simple to wait for the right time, but how often does that actually
come around? We wait and wait until all the signs point to now, but
from personal experience, now never comes. Trials, challenges,
obstacles all come to trump us, so we uselessly wait around for a time
that never seems to come. In reality, we should all prepare ourselves
to make the decision, do the best thing, no matter when or where. The
Lord expects of all of us to choose this day whom we shall serve,
despite the calumnies that may be raging against us. He expects of us
to stand "steadfast and immovable" for the right, even if all of our
family and social circumstances are pulling to the wrong. In all
things that we do, today we must make the decisions, for tomorrow
never comes.

I have learned more deeply and sincerely of the love of God and His
Son Jesus Christ while serving my mission. I have felt things in the
depths of my soul that light had never penetrated before. I know that
this work is true! I know that this is the only true and living
church; it is the Church of Jesus Christ. I love serving these
wonderful two years of my life knowing that I am here by divine
appointment, knowing that the Lord has called me, a nobody to the
world, to save these of God's children through the message entrusted
me to share. It is such a difficult task, but I know that I am here
because I made the best decision. My prayer is that I will continue to
do so, and that those that I may be able to influence will do the
same.

I love you all, and I hope that you have an amazing week! When next we
speak I shall be 21... crazy....


No comments:

Post a Comment