Tuesday, June 04, 2013

Week 2 Down in the MTC‏

So this week has been another powerful week for me. I don't know if I have heard anything new or learned things more profound than I have heard before in life, but I continue to feel an overwhelming presence and closeness to the Spirit here in the MTC. The people are great and the work in truly marvelous!
So I got my Malaria Medication as well as my flight plans. There were quite a few issues that intermingled with that process. Here are the "set in stone" ones that I have in my hands now. 
 Wednesday June 12-Thursday June 13
  •  SLC- Chicago 10:25-2:25p
  • Chicago- Brussels 6:00p-9:00a
  • Brussels-Cotonou 2:35p-8:15p
That will be super exciting. I am happy to be going through two new airports and one new country. I still have another week and some here in the MTC, so we shall see what fun and adventure awaits me here. 
Last night, Sunday, we had a devotional by Ted Gibbons who worked for the C.E.S. for 38 years. It was absolutely astonishing. He recounted the history of Joseph Smith's Martyrdom through the eyes of Willard Richards. I had never felt a spiritual prompting so specific as to the one that I need to begin further studying the life of Joseph Smith. The events that transpired in his life and those that happened in preparation to the Atonement are the most important events that have ever happened to the world, and I feel like I hardly know anything about them at all. 
I wish that I could just see what they saw, feel what they have felt, and live a life in such a way as they have lived. 
In my personal studies this week I read from the Bible Dictionary quite frequently. The one that stood out to me was under "War in Heaven" which states:
"Although one-third of the spirits became devils, the remaining two-thirds were not equally valiant, there being every degree of devotion to Christ and the Father among them. The most diligent were chosen to be rulers in the kingdom (Abraham 3:22-23). The nature of the conflict, however, is such that there could be no neutrals, then or now (Matt. 12:30; 1 Ne. 14:1-; Alma 38:40)."

The question that popped to my mind was, which of these degrees am I? How valiant am I in this fight? If there are no neutrals, how diligent am I?
I'm hating these questions that pop to my mind because they will all take so much time out of my life to figure out. So many mysteries that need to be figured out, and typically they all revolve around me. The Lord hasn't kept much back for the glories and mysteries of heaven, it is time for us to figure out what kind of child we are.
Today in the Temple there was an astounding peace, and with it joy for my life and the path I am on. I know that doing this mission is going to be the foundation for the greatest blessings in my life. I recommend a mission to any and all, despite the shortcomings we all have and the difficulties present on a mission, there is nothing about a mission that we can't overcome. 
I love you all, and hope you are all having wonderful lives. Continue to grow in the spirit. Pray with steadfast faith in Christ, and know that you will be blessed in all of your endeavors. 
Scripture of the week, Alma 26:15
Love you all! Sincerely, 
Elder Robert Eugene Haggard II

1 comment:

  1. Hi Elder Haggard, I just heard from my Elder in Togo who says you'll be going to his area in Kodjoviakope. Not sure who is managing your blog, but thought that info would be fun to have. You can learn about my Elder at http://eldertrevorhawkins.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete