Tuesday, October 08, 2013

Seven Baptisms and a Transfer

Hello Everybody!
This has been an exciting week in the life of Elder Haggard! I mean, every week is exciting here in the service of the Lord, but this week has been a little more so. (Maybe the title of the email gives you a little hint.)
We had SEVEN BAPTISMS! (That's quite a bit to have in one week.) It was a nice surprise when you go into the week thinking two and then investigators that you have almost given up hope on decide to "give it a go." My heart leapt for joy as they all accepted to follow the Savior's example. To see people's hesitation as they enter the baptismal font followed swiftly by the sight of peace and joy as they come up from the water is such a beautiful sight! I can't even begin to describe it.
That was an amazing and faith growing experience that I will always hold in a sacred place in my heart. I was blessed with being the one asked to perform the ordinance, and that I am grateful for. I would love to keep the spirit that was felt in this experience, and to show that despite the ordinance it being perfect in its purpose and power, there are still the influences of man involved, and so there is a funny story to one of these baptismal candidates.
So, as Eva entered into the waters, she was trembling. Not to be stereotypical, just from my experience, Africans are scared of submersion. So, that is what I feel was the cause of this fear. I assured her that the process is quick, literally painless, and that she need only focus on the joy and the feelings of her heart and what she feels after, not before, the "plunging."
Her shaking ceased a little. She took a breath, and with a smile on my face I began to say the prayer. "Amen!" My arm descends to aid her into the water, but before I can get it there *SPLASH!!* Water is all over my face, as I try to help her back up, but as she comes back up out of the water, SHE SPITS ALL THE WATER INTO MY FACE! She is also shaking more vehemently than before. As I help her out of the water, she begins to sob, rather loudly, as she enters the echoing chamber to change. :/
Later I found out that in her "graceful" entry of the water, she got some of it in her ear which displeasured her very much. It wasn't me! I didn't cause a girl to start crying despite anything Elder Hawkins tries to tell you! Don't listen to him! She was radiant and jolly the next day at Church as she received her confirmation into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. That again was a nerve-racking experience as I performed two of the seven confirmations, in the French language mind you. I had never done that before, but it eased my mind in knowing that I can do it.
Let me share with you all something awesome that it took me six months to read, so forgive my tardiness.
"Life can be difficult, and it can harden hearts to the point where certain people seem unreachable. Some may be filled with anger. Others may mock and ridicule those who believe in a loving God. But consider this: though they do not remember, they too at one time yearned to return to their Father in Heaven." -Dieter F. Uchtdorf
How can you look at people now? How does it make you feel that their first step was your first step? They chose to descend from the presence of a loving Father, to come and receive a body, and to try to make it back to His presence once again knowing that there was a risk of failure. They chose, before any other decision was placed before them, to act in faith. We started on the same path together, and we came here with the same purpose. So where along the way did some of us lose our footing?

That is something that we should think about. Where are we in this eternal endeavor? Food for thought...

I also got transferred, or the news that I will be mutated, this week to an area called Bé kpota. It is in the middle of Lomé so I will be taken away from my wonderful ocean breeze. I hope all will be good over in yonder world. The mystery of being transferred still eludes me because this is my first time since arriving to Africa four months ago. Kodjoviakopé has been my home, and it saddens me to see it in the "rearview mirror" but that is the life of a missionary. We make friends, and create a relationship that you can't find any other way, but then the Lord needs you elsewhere and you have to pick up and leave. So, trying to be like Nephi, I take an attitude to "go and do the things the Lord commands."

Let me tell you one last thing before I go. It has to do with the most amazing family in Kodjoviakopé! It is a family of three, but technically four, that live in the most humble of circumstances. The dad works in the most lucrative industry in the world, rice-dealing. Due to this business he lives away from his family in Ghana, and the first time I have ever met him was this past Sunday. So, we went and visited them later that day, in hopes to get to know him better and see what we can do to help this family.
The ones that we know well are Soeur Brigitte, and her two daughters Oliva and Blandine, and we regularly visit the family and talk with them. So we get there, but the dad flys out the door saying that he will be right back... that means see you never here in Africa. "J'arrive" is the polite way of never coming back. So we just spoke with the family.
Within a few minutes it started to rain, so we got under their overhang thing. It worked for a little bit, but then it started to downpour. Soeur Brigitte then invited us into their parcel, and began quickly apologizing for how crowded it was... That sweet family lives all together in a small 8'x10' room. It truly opened my eyes to the blessings that Heavenly Father gives to his children, and made me ever grateful for those precious few minutes spent hiding away from the rain with those most choice of God's children.
They chose, despite poverty and hunger, to follow the commandments of the Lord. Despite Soeur Brigitte not knowing how to read she still strives to hold her family together based on the principles of scripture study, prayer, and family unity. It is the most marvelous sight in all the world to see. There truly is beauty all around when there is love at home.
Be strong in your faith, no matter where you may be in life. God loves you. Be grateful for what you have, give that which you can to others. If you have nothing to give, know that you can always give space in your heart to them. Love those around you. That is the message that I want to leave with all of you, love your family, love your neighbors, and above it all, love your God.

Sincerely,
Elder Robert Haggard


No comments:

Post a Comment