Monday, September 30, 2013

The Good Things on a Mission

Good Afternoon!

Congrats to the sister and brother-in-law of my best friend on his mission in Germany, Elder Hale, for bringing a baby boy into the world! Yay Brett and Tara!

I am reflecting back on the week that has just passed and I was touched by the words given in this passed April's General Conference by Elder Holland. He is so sincere with the simplicity of the words used, "Lord, I believe." I just never thought of how amazing those three words can be. How much power we can have just by showing the inkling of faith that dwells within our hearts. Just showing that we wish for something better and that the key to that is within the Savior's hands.

I pondered the concepts that Elder Holland shared, such as beginning our desires with an honest assertion of our faith, not by leading with our weaknesses. That is something that I lack in, I always look at my faults and try to excuse them before I show the faith and confidence that I have in these things. It is easier for us to see where we lack, to see the difficulties that are present than to see the hope and optimism that should be shining brightly forth from amidst the shadows of the pains in life.

Among that effort of trying to be more faithful through the difficulties of life, I am trying to make an attempt to be more in tune with the Holy Ghost. The problem isn't that I won't follow the promptings, the problem is recognizing the promptings of the Holy Ghost. I much prefer it when somebody is straight-forward with me, this whole "still small voice" thing is harder to hear through the tumult of my mind and heart. It is almost imposxsible to describe the noise that runs constantly through a missionary's mind.

I mean, it is an amazing opportunity that we have to spend these two years of our lives away from the distractions of the world. but I find that my mind doesn't enjoy being left alone with itself. I find that there are crags, alleys, darknesses that have yet to be explored in the depths of my mind, and delving into these places shows different aspects to me that I have yet to develop and hone into my personality. I like sitting at long lengths with my thoughts and feelings, but I just can't express what it is that I am thinking or feeling.

A good thing that is present each day of the mission is wonderful opportunities to learn and to grow as we work among the good people around us. It is such a tender mercy of the Lord to see that He has placed me here to find friends that I would by no other means have met or made such a special and spiritual bond with. You see them from a light of the everlasting gospel, and not just through the eys of some random passer-by. A man isn't a man until he has gone through the refiner's fire!

I enjoy this truth that the challenges and trials that are just before us are those set by the Lord for us to show our faith. The Lord doesn't like to see us suffer, but we sometimes find ourselves ungrateful for the grandeur and joy of Christ's infinite Atonement. We are given the means of becoming like our Heavenly Father, and that includes an eternal process of progression, for if we aren't progressing we are damned, où bien?

I learned another vital lesson from the Group Leader Frère Marcelin this week also! Just a wonderful week of learning for me! He said something profound, yet falls so humbly into the simple category as well. He said, in stating his desire to help the Group of Kodjoviakopé, that "my past errors are behind me." How prolific! It wasn't a statement of perfection, it wasn't a statement clearing him from further errors, it was a heartfelt proclamation that eyes are meant ot be fixed on the eternal prospects ahead not caught up in the griefs and toils of yesterday's regrets. Let yesterday slip away, the dawn of tomorrow will forever be more beautiful than something you cannot relive. As beautiful as memories are, God has, and forever will, promise that today is better than all the yesterdays combined, so long as we make it what we want it to be.

I can promise everyone trials, heartache, pains and troubles. I can promise everyone an Armageddon, but with that comes the hope and light of Adam-Ondi-Ohman! (Stole that little idea from Neal A. Maxwell.)

I love my mission, always will be grateful for what time I have to be in the service of my Lord. I love each everyone of you, you are in my prayers, and as angels continue to bear me up I know that I am in yours. I could go for some letters from folks though, so feel free to send those my way. Heck, if you send them today they might even be here in time for Christmas! ;) 

Here is my address:

Elder Robert Haggard
Mission Bénin Cotonou
Cadjehoun Lot 1158, Bloc F
01 BP 3323 Cotonou
Bénin
(No need to write "West Africa" it is built into where Bénin is located.)

A bientôt mes amis!

Sincerely,
Elder Haggard

No comments:

Post a Comment