Monday, September 09, 2013

God Bless The Rains Down in Africa


God Bless the Rains Down in Africa

My Dearest World,



I will start with saying HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my good friend Tylan!



TRANSFERS!!! They came! Though… it didn’t effect my apartment at all.

*Whosoever therefore shall bbreak one of these least commandments, and shall cteach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and dteach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. (Matthew 5:19)*

So this week I bumped heads with “authority” due to the principle taught within that scripture. The small things are what makes this world great. It isn’t us doing amazing and spectacular things, achieving the grandest rewards, fighting off the mightiest monsters, it comes through us being in the fight. You often find differing opinions amongst missionaries, and for some reason my “leader” didn’t appreciate me putting my foot down for the things I know to be right.  Respect is something that is meant to be earned through being a righteous example and a loving leader to those asked to follow you. Respect doesn’t come because of seniority or because you demand it, never has it been that way, and never shall it be. Intimidation and fear are sure ways to personal demise.

*Mildly frustrated interjection… I don’t like the computers or the internet here. They put a hamper on how good our time in the cybers is supposed to be.*

I know that the Lord works in mysterious ways. That is the only thing that would make sense in this struggling world of poverty, greed, starvation, wars, lusts, secrecy and carnal sensations. It would take so much time to fix the problems of the world, so much that nobody but the Savior could fix them.  I guess that is the perfect reason as to why we must EACH strive to become more like Jesus Christ and to follow His example in everything. It is something that I struggle to do everyday; find a way to humble myself enough to be corrected by His loving hand. In my pride I am nothing, but when I gain humility and charity I open the way to receive the blessings of heaven.

When you find yourself with nothing, you are as close as you can be to having everything, for when one has things that distracts the heart they turn it cold and black. An abyss is an ineffable darkness, that loses those that wander within it, do you want to be lost?

I had a wonderful experience this past Saturday as we went over to attend the baptism of someone I didn’t know in Kégé. The service was beautiful, you can’t go astray when the work of the Lord is being fulfilled, and the hymns invited a marvelous and warming spirit. The service ended, the pictures were taken, my companion disappeared with the other Ivorians, and I sat around for a few hours waiting.

The storm clouds gathered upon the horizon, and we watched as the blackness swooped in over Lomé. The sprinkles of rain began to descend, but before we could get back into the Church building it was beating down. The Africans ran to and fro because none of them enjoy rain. Firstly because it floods their homes, floods their roads, and makes it colder than they typically enjoy. Secondly, motos aren’t very good at driving through rainstorms, nor do people trust them and so the industry takes a bit of a dive during a storm.

My companion came back, we made our way to the big road to find a taxi, but they feel as though the rain creates desperation and they try to raise the prices of the trip. Unfortunately for them, I don’t mind a little bit of rain so I can stand there all day if needs be. The only problem was that day had already passed and we needed to get back to our apartment. Kodjoviakopé and Kégé are essentially on the opposite sides of Lomé from each other. Taxis kept stopping for us, they never wanted to give us a reasonable price, so a good twenty minutes passed while doing this all. Finally, and much to our surprise, a car stopped to give us a ride.

Now, some people may not think that is much, but here in Togo it is unheard of to do something like that. He was a German Togolais. He had been born and raised in Koln, but his family was from Togo and so he spent many summers back here. He was really kind to us, he wouldn’t accept the money that we offered to him for his generosity, He drove us all the way from Kege to Hotel Palm Beach which is just “down the road” from us. So we made a 2000 cfa trip into a 500 cfa trip with a taxi on the last leg.

The thing that really touched me in this whole experience was how he said that it was God that touched his heart to pull over for us. It made me so grateful for the love of my Heavenly Father and strengthened my testimony in knowing that He is truly there looking out for each of us in our own trials and adversities. Nothing more magnificent than feeling God’s love for you.

I know that God is our loving Heavenly Father. He is there for us all! I know that He loves me, and that He will stand by me through the hardships in life. He will never let one of His children suffer beyond what they are capable of. He is there in our times of need, and in our times of peace. Don’t forget Him for the wonderful blessings that He pours out upon EACH of us everyday. Whether you feel down in life or not, He is there. I know it with all of my heart. That is why I am here. I am here to spread the message that our Father has prepared a marvelous plan of happiness for all of His children, and we know each of the steps because of the restoration that took place with the help of Joseph Smith.

Love you all! Keep praying and reading those scriptures of yours. :)

-Elder Haggard

No comments:

Post a Comment