Monday, November 18, 2013

Guess Who I Saw at Church in Be-Kpota...



Dearest World,

Sadly, I didn't note many things in my agenda this past week as reminders of what I wanted to speak about today. It is a habit of mine to forget the moments that happen, but the feelings are things that are often well-imprinted on my heart. If I were to give a summary of the week in words of emotions, I would say simply that it was a week of self-reflection.
My nose has never been in the Book of Mormon for so many hours. I absolutely love the Book of Mormon!! To be honest, I think that was a testimony that I lacked before this mission. I don't feel bad in saying that because it has been corrected now. I can say with every fiber of my being that this book, is so much more than a book, it is the word and will and absolute testament of Jesus Christ, and it is my aspiration to have it become mine as well.
That reminds me of a powerful statement by Bruce R. McConkie where he is bearing his testimony and he says:
 "I shall use my own words, though you may think they are the words of scripture, words spoken by other Apostles and prophets. True it is they were first proclaimed by others, but they are now mine, for the Holy Spirit of God has borne witness to me that they are true, and it is now as though the Lord had revealed them to me in the first instance. I have thereby heard his voice and know his word." -Bruce R. McConkie The Purifying Power of Gethsemane, April 1985.
It is that! I want that to be my testimony, and I am working towards it each and every day. Though, this week has made me feel a bit more like Alma, Amulek, and the Sons of Mosiah in all of their journeys; for it was the sadness of the world that filled my mind due to experiences.
One night as we were at a member's home, with the hope to teach his brother, who has accepted to meet with us but was in the village for a few weeks. The story doesn't revolve around him though, but their other brother. I thought that people weren't this crazy, but this man was CRAZY/drunk. The second half we didn't realize as soon as we should have, especially based on how he acted as he saw that we were the MORMON MISSIONARIES.
I felt a little like a vampire as a foolish man crossed himself and told his brothers not to make eye contact with the "devils incarnate." He kept yelling at the member brother to not sit face to face with us and that he was an idiot for inviting us into his home. It was slightly entertaining, until things got bad. Though, the bad wasn't directed towards us...

This foolish and drunken selfish man came to visit the mother of his child that the member and the other brother took in, but it wasn't a friendly visit. In his drunken rage he came to teach her how she needs to raise their child, and so the meeting with the brother was postponed as the "teaching" was taking place. This brother (drunk) was bigger than the other two and so they weren't able to fight him off as he smacked the helpless woman. It was a moment that I wished I wasn't wearing a badge so that I could give him and good “whatfor!”
This is where I felt very much like Alma and Amulek in the city of Ammonihah.
10 And when Amulek saw the pains of the women and children who were
consuming in the fire, he also was pained; and he said unto Alma:
How can we witness this awful scene?
Therefore let us stretch forth our hands, and
exercise the power of God which is in us, and save them from the flames.

11 But Alma said unto him: The Spirit constraineth me that
 I must not stretch forth mine hand; for behold the Lord
receiveth them up unto himself, in glory; and he doth
suffer that they may do this thing, or that the people may do
this thing unto them, according to the hardness of their hearts,
that the judgments which he shall exercise upon them in his
wrath may be just; and the blood of the innocent shall stand
as a witness against them, yea, and cry mightily against
them at the last day.

12 Now Amulek said unto Alma: Behold,
perhaps they will burn us also.
(Alma 14:10-12)

I couldn't sit there and watch as he abused this woman, but we tried our best to provide spiritual support for the member that was having a hard time listening to the blows as they landed. There are two things people should NEVER do, the first is hit women and the second is hit children. If I weren't a missionary.... I am happy I am a missionary because of situations like that though. It goes to show how desperately the world needs this gospel. The beautiful thing that I saw within this travesty was the love of a mother. The man didn't hit the child, the mother each time stood in the way, and so eventually he just held the child knowing that if he laid a harmful hand on the baby that woman would stop at nothing until her baby was once again safe.
You learn a little about sacrifice, about the pains and torments of the flesh as someone stands against the lashes in the place of another. The physical anguish turns to devastating stabs at ones heart as they stand as helpless witnesses to the hardships of this life. I think of our Savior, the ultimate sacrifice each time I witness the innocent being torn asunder by the monstrosity of wickedness. The foolishness and craftiness of wickedness thinking that they have gained so much here in this mortal sphere and so they reject the reality that things are bigger and better for those that live humbly and are willing to sacrifice any and all mortal gains to enable the kingdom of God here upon the earth.
Brothers and sisters, friends, family, please rid yourself of the pride that hangs on each of us as we achieve things here during our probationary state. Don't fool yourselves into the idea that there are things more important than God, Jesus Christ, and their Gospel in this life. Center your lives on your family, on loving God with all of your heart, might, mind and strength, and upon helping those in need all around you. They are there, and if you think not, you are blind.
To answer the question of the title of this week’s email, I saw Frère Alex!!! Teehee! It was exciting, and when I told him that it has been almost six months since the first day my blonde head appeared in Kodjoviakopé he was taken aback. Fun seeing familiar faces as I progress down the long and winding road as a missionary. I have done a quarter of my mission, and I am kind of scared that the rest of it will go by too fast. There are yet many adventures that lay ahead of me, and even more after this period of life, so much to look forward to, but can't let the future take away from the present. I love this mission! I am excited for everything in store for me! Hardships, pains, joys, smiles and tears, send them my way!
I love you all! Have another fantastic week! Say your prayers, morning and night, and let the Spirit lead you throughout your day.
--
Sincerely,
Elder Robert Haggard
Mission Bénin Cotonou
Cadjehoun Lot°1158 Bloc F
01 BP 3323
Cotonou, Bénin

No comments:

Post a Comment