Monday, November 11, 2013

Not Creative Enough for a Cooler Title


Dearest World,

This week was slightly less productive than usual. I don't know what it is but my companion and I seem to be in a real pickle on the whole finding process of this missionary work. We talk and talk and talk to people until we are blue in the face, but ZILCH! ZIP! NADA!! It was hard back in Kodjoviakopé too, but we at least had members and investigators that were always progressing, but here nothing. In fact, I had my first investigator come to Church yesterday in the month that I have been here. I guess I have just hit one of those mission dry patches. Do those happen to other people?

I mean, I look at my mission and know that I am working hard, but work without results is hard to measure. Not that I need to be boasting or looking at numbers to make me an effective missionary. We have lessons, they are just rarely with the same people, and those that are with the same people are still with people that refuse to come to Church, not refuse, they are just cunning at creating reasons they were "unable" to make it. It gets a little discouraging, but I know that I can help them if I just continue to work faithfully and valiantly.

I have been spending a lot of time studying a "few" Bruce R. McConkie talks that I just happened to have in my suitcase as I flew across the Atlantic to this little Africa place, what a coincidence. ;) Anywho, he has enlightened my mind through the spirit that he was able to imprint upon the pages of many of his talks. A few of the topics consisted of giving more heed to the words spoken by prophets of this dispensation, and not lingering on those revelations of the past.

"It seems easy to believe in the prophets who have passed on and to suppose that we believe and follow the counsel they gave under different circumstances and to other people. But the great test that confronts us, as in every age when the Lord has a people on earth, is whether we will give heed to the words of his living oracles and follow the counsel and direction they give for our day and time.


“We be Abraham’s children, the Jews said to Jove;
We shall follow our Father, inherit his trove.
But from Jesus our Lord, came the stinging rebuke:
Ye are children of him, whom ye list to obey;
Were ye Abraham’s seed, ye would walk in his path,
And escape the strong chains of the father of wrath.
“We have Moses the seer, and the prophets of old;
All their words we shall treasure as silver and gold.
But from Jesus our Lord, came the sobering voice:
If to Moses ye turn, then give heed to his word;
Only then can ye hope for rewards of great worth,
For he spake of my coming and labors on earth.
“We have Peter and Paul, in their steps let us trod;

So religionists say, as they worship their God.
But speaks He who is Lord of the living and dead:
In the hands of those prophets, those teachers and seers,
Who abide in your day have I given the keys;
Unto them ye must turn, the Eternal to please.”

 -"God Foreordains His Prophets and His People", Bruce R. McConkie

That is a smart man that Bruce R. McConkie! It is sad that he had to pass from this life due to cancer, which seems to be a painful process that, if I have my way, I never have to fully understand through firsthand experiences. Pain is a sad experience that we all experience in one manner or another, and if it not be for us, it is in the manifestation of those that we love most dearly. The bright side to all pain is that God has a plan! There will never be a moment spent in vain if we are faithful and obedient to the end.

That is the moral of a mission, be obedient until the end.

"Remember this, which I tell you before, that you may lay it to heart, and receive that which is to follow. Behold, verily I say unto you, for this cause I have sent you—that you might be obedient, and that your hearts might be prepared to bear testimony of the things which are to come;" -Doctrine and Covenants 58:5-6

We had a really good Zone Conference this Thursday. It was topped off with a very delicious Burger/Charwarma mix to seal in the spirituality with the sign of a satisfied belly. The message that helped me from President Weed was something to this effect:

We are not on our missions for the blessings, for the baptisms, for improving our lives, we MUST be here because we love the Lord, and that we KNOW that we have been called of Him to WORK. If you aren't seeing the blessings it doesn't mean that they aren't there. You should rejoice in the blessing of your own personal witness and testimony of the Saviour Jesus Christ, the Restored Gospel and the verity of LIVING Prophets and Apostles! (Paraphrased, and used my own personal sentiments that I took from the meeting).

Yes, sometimes this work is hard, and sometimes I don't have great experiences and stories to share with all of you dear friends and family, but if there is one thing that I have above all the hardships that await me on this mission it is my testimony. I know that I have been called by He that I serve to stand as His representative to this people. I have been called and given the authority to invite others unto Christ. I am not here to simply share with people a message, but I am here to call people to act upon this true message.

I know that Jesus Christ is the Savior and Redeemer of the World. I know that God, the one true and living God, is the Father of us all, and more specifically MY Heavenly Father. My whole heart and soul leaps at the promise of celestial glory in the kingdom of my Father. Here I am preparing others to inherit this great promise, and in a few short months it will be my responsibility to live in such a way to have me and my family inherit these glories beyond comprehension. It is a little ways off, but the thought of it is a very lovely picture.

This Church is true! I love you all! I will talk to you all next week, but if anyone feels inclined to send me a letter for Christmas or something like that:

Elder Robert Haggard
Benin Cotonou Mission
Cadjehoun Lot 1158 Bloc F
01 BP 3323
Cotonou, Bénin

With Love and Faith,
Elder Haggard

No comments:

Post a Comment