Sunday, September 14, 2014

Finding People Is Hard‏

Friends and Family,

This week hasn't been very productive, we have had to spend long hours taking the Mormon.org chats, but it just seems that this week's batch of visitors consisted of not so sincere seekers of the truth. Perhaps summer isn't the best time to be relying on the internet to find new people to teach since near the end it becomes more and more full of people just wanting to waste time and have a kick from doing it. I remember back in Be-Kpota I was getting tired of doing OVB (tracting) because it was the same streets and the same people that we saw all the time, and they became people that I would just wave to and talk with briefly, here it is a different story because you never know who you are going to meet. Sure, the same questions get tiring: "Why can't women hold the priesthood?" "Why did God change His mind about the blacks and the priesthood?" "If I join your church how many wives do I get?" "You know you are bigots, don't you?".... in Africa, these questions didn't matter to them. I would have figured that the continent affected by the withholding of the priesthood would have more to say about it, but it seems that here in America they are more upset over it...

I guess this week I am grateful for living prophets that allow us to know God's will, and share with us direction and counsel from the heavens. I couldn't imagine trying to interpret the eternal truths without faith and a testimony that these men have truly been called of God to lead His children. The world lacks faith, they want answers and they demand that they be given to them. In today's culture the response "I don't know" is rejected and deemed as though it means all evidence and knowledge elsewhere is void.  In my studies I found an answer to how to teach, and how to become a living example of the word:

 D&C 19:29-33
29 And thou shalt declare glad tidings, yea, publish it upon the mountains, and upon every high place, and among every people that thou shalt be permitted to see.
 30 And thou shalt do it with all humility, trusting in me, reviling not against revilers.
 31 And of tenets thou shalt not talk, but thou shalt declare repentance and faith on the Savior, and remission of sins by baptism, and by fire, yea, even the Holy Ghost.
 32 Behold, this is a great and the last commandment which I shall give unto you concerning this matter; for this shall suffice for thy daily walk, even unto the end of thy life.
 33 And misery thou shalt receive if thou wilt slight these counsels, yea, even the destruction of thyself and property.

2 Timothy 2:23-26
23 But foolish and unlearned questions avoid, knowing that they do gender strifes.
 24 And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient,
 25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;
 26 And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

We spend too much time arguing over points that are useless to eternal salvation, and we act as though we have something to prove, but we don't! The Spirit is there to strive with man so long as they are sincere, we will never be the ones to convince of the eternal principles. Be faithful and patient to allow the world to be the same. We share our message, but we cannot, should not, and hopefully do not shove it down people's throats. 

Elder Eberle left this morning. He had finished up his two years and is off to start a new adventure. He is a great friend and missionary, and it is always sad to see a friend leave home. We have now seven full-time Referral Center Elders. It is a challenge to live and work in such close quarters with the same people day in and day out, but we become friends and help each other learn and grow. I struggle and grow each day, and it is well worth it. I know without a doubt that the Lord loves me, and that He is mindful of me and my needs. As I struggle or doubt I feel His gentle instruction to give me courage and faith to press on. I know that we can all find the answers relevant to our needs, the Lord will give us the milk before the meat, but we must be patient. I can say that I am quite carnivorous, and that hinders my patience in many instances. I am weak, but I feel borrowed strength lifting me above my means, and it is something I very much appreciate! I love the Lord, and I hope that each of you become mindful of His Almighty hand in your lives, "count your blessings" and the days go on. Love you all! Have a great week!

(Img 1175- Pretty Sunset witnessed this week) 

(Img 1184- Selfie with Elder Heslop and Elder Eberle, in the middle) 

-- 
Sincerely,
Elder Robert Haggard

Referral Center Mission
2007 North 900 East unit #80
Provo, Utah 84604


No comments:

Post a Comment