Sunday, September 14, 2014

Last Email from Africa‏

Dearest Friends and Family,
 I have a little bit of news for a lot of you, and some may be taken by shock, but I am returning to the United States. I have been experiencing medical issues with my back and whatnot, and so the doctors responsible to help with the missionaries here in West Africa have decided that the care and assistance necessary to treat these issues can’t be found here so I have been reassigned to the Referral Center in the Provo Missionary Training Center, where I was serving prior to coming here to the Benin Cotonou Mission again. Oh, and to point out, Saturdays will be my P-days if I am not mistaken, like today, so sorry if you were unable to write me before I wrote you… Just a heads up for next week.
                I have been blessed with the opportunity to continue missionary service and for that I am so grateful. The first reaction was to send me home directly since the best medical treatment is often found at home with the aid of family, but my stubbornness has made it possible to pursue whatever treatment is necessary while serving. Yeah, I have probably made life a little rough on those that were responsible to help me, but I love you all very much, and I am grateful for the faithful prayers that were full of sincere love that have made it possible for me to continue serving the Lord as a missionary.
                This week I have been serving in the Bureau of the mission with Elder Hawkins and Elder Izekor. You all may remember Elder Hawkins from the beginning on my mission, or if you don’t you can go back and read it on the blog, but I am here again suffering under his tyranny as a missionary. When we were there we were both junior companions still learning how to cope with the difficulties of the mission and now we have both grown so much to have both served as senior companions, trainers, and district leaders. It is funny how much things change in the mission in such a short amount of time. Here I am sitting in Cadjehoun (Benin), after having served in a whole other country, and I am on my way to another country.
                In all honesty I am without words to explain the emotions that are going through me as I once again will be leaving Africa before the time I had planned to be heading out of here. It is funny when you feel that the Lord has sent you here so why would He now send me somewhere else? It is reasonable to notice that the Lord has His children constantly in motion is the process of perfection. I now well-aware of the refiner’s fire engulfing me trying to work with me, it is now up to me to see whether or not I will mold in the Master’s hands, or if I will resist and break.
It is the hardest thing to have to leave these wonderful people here in Africa; I have grown to love them with all of my heart. Sure, the countries themselves have been a little rough on me and my body, but my heart has felt the profound effects of love which have overpowered the anguish and suffering that has walked in companionship to these things. I don’t want it to end, but I know that the Lord has prepared for me another spot of land in His vineyard where He expects me to labor with all my heart, might, mind, and strength to aid in bringing souls unto our Savior.
It has been great fun as I wrapped up my last few days in Calavi with Elder Yamapia. He and I went rather gung-ho on trying to find people so that I wouldn’t leave him with a terribly difficult area, so we were able to find a few, but we also fixed the baptismal dates for three people. Sadly I won’t be there to see them actually perform the ordinance, but I know that in whatever small degree I have been able to help these people come unto Christ, it is a step in the right direction.  It was a huge blessing to have a hardworking companion these last few weeks to motivate me despite the inevitable discouragement of having to leave. I gained a testimony of President Hinckley’s father’s invitation to forget myself and go to work. It is amazing how just working allows you to be filled with the Spirit that overcomes all trials.
I don’t know what all to really tell you… Thank you so much for your prayers of faith and love, and keep them coming! They are a HUGE blessing for me and a strength that I can feel endowing me through the trials that I have and will continue to face. It will be strange to be back in Provo, but I know the Lord has permitted that I continue to work in that part of His vineyard for a specific reason; it is just for me to go and do with no guarantees that I will be able to know why exactly I am there. Gratitude is all that is necessary, and willingness all that is expected.
I love you all! Have a great week! I will let you know all about the new adventures that I will be having in the Referral Center, and the new friends I will make with other wonderful missionaries. Au revoir!

The Pics:
0558 - Elder Hawkins, Izekor and I driving around Cotonou 
0559 - Can I really go....? 
0560 - Conference de Zone in Cococodji 
0561 - Just Some Pics to see that I am alive 
0562 - Makes me miss something.... 
-- 
Sincerely,
Elder Robert Haggard

Mission Bénin Cotonou
Cadjehoun Lot°1158 Bloc F
01 BP 3323 
Cotonou, Bénin

No comments:

Post a Comment