Sunday, September 14, 2014

Service to the Lord‏

Salvation Everybody! ;)

Well this week I am experiencing a new way of typing out a letter. We went on a little road trip to help the Sisters get some things done, so Elder Eberle, Elder Jorgensen and I were so kind to wait in the car for them to finish up a few things. My iPad and the keyboard that my mom sent me came in handy! :)

It has been a fun week, things that have been exciting, and watching the progress of the work go forth. We have had a bit of a dry spell with finding new investigators, all that came on to talk with us through chats have all seemed to be there for the sole purpose of attacking, degrading, demeaning, insulting, and rebuking the beliefs that I had near and dear. I can understand people coming to ask questions, or learn more, and after that disagreeing, but when one's objective is to come to destroy one's self-esteem and faith, you will never be alright in my books. My stress this week has been to develop Christlike attributes, patience namely.

As I get more acquainted and frequented with those of other faiths, I am very let down. I love new people, and I respect other's beliefs and faiths, I just can't comprehend people that come with fists swinging and they expect that they will win the fight. I like to imagine them as drunken and distorted brawlers that don't know who their enemy is nor why they are even fighting, they wake up in the morning and say "I feel like fighting!" I turn plenty of cheeks, but I stand my ground. The perk to the Referral Center is that you get investigators and interactions from all walks of life that allows your abilities to expand exponentially. The things I learned in Africa have helped me loads, but I learn each and every day more ways to teach and express myself, so I am so grateful for that.

We have some pretty amazing investigators, though they are complex. To be honest, I love each of them and their lives. They consistently teach me more about myself, about the world, and about God's love. Being responsible for teaching this gospel to these amazing people has helped me rely more upon the Spirit than ever before. These are things that I realized in Africa as well, but I have always been a slow-leaner in change. I have a stubborn disposition and I have been praying to grow. We have two investigators that have best friends that are Mormons already, both now serving missions, and so they are trying to understand why they would give up everything to go and serve. Funnily enough, people don't understand it as we explain.

The Spirit is an intriguing Person. He seems to make things so crystal clear to you as you experience life and yearn for self-bettering, but it doesn't always click in someone else if they don't have these same desires and experiences. In science, as they do tests, they require a constant to measure or prove the change that is occurring, that is what we are providing to these people's lives. As we involve the Spirit, through prayer, scripture study, and church, they recognize the blessings that come to us. We learn from these constants the benefits, promises, and verity of the gospel. As you remove any of these three things you will slowly but surely see them vanishing.

Today, as the Provo Temple is closed, we were given the opportunity to perform a unique service as a mission. We went to the Foodcare Coalition in south Provo, and we made sack lunches for the homeless.
 
Peanut-butter and jelly sandwiches, granola bars, chips, fruit, and some Tampico! It was super fun and awesome! The last time I was at this place was for Matt Woodruff's Eagle project. They were two different experiences, but the same satisfying reward of feeling the approval of The Lord for our loving service to God's children.
There was a High Council member there, and he emphasized the point of the service being directly unto Christ. I think at the beginning there was a unanimous feeling that he was "overselling", but by the end of it, with sincerity, I know that what we were able to do was something simple and great. The Lord loves us serving one another, simple acts of kindness and love, and He will make us the blessings of Heaven distilling out upon the children of God.

I know beyond words that this work is true. I am grateful for the minutes and seconds that I spend on the mission. I am using borrowed time, time that I owe to many wonderful and loving leaders that helped me get to where I am, prayers of friends and families, words of encouragement, and the gift from God of testimony that push me day in and day out. Sadly I rest imperfect, but as I said earlier, I pray to be better each day. I love my mission.

I thank all of you for all you do to support me, and the work of The Lord in whatever facets you contribute. I love you all!


-- 
Sincerely,
Elder Robert Haggard

Referral Center Mission
2007 North 900 East unit #80
Provo, Utah 84604



No comments:

Post a Comment