Sunday, September 14, 2014

Since I Have Been Gone.... (Sorry the power and Energy from Nigeria isn't that Stable....)‏r

Hey Everybody... long time no word from Elder Haggard....

Well, I am alive, and I am also in Benin which isn't Togo, funny that. Life
is going pretty dang sweet and I have been enjoying life here in this new
and exciting area! I also enjoyed reading all of your letters from past
weeks that the internet has been refusing to let me read, I am
*SUPER*happy that you are all doing so amazingly and wonderfully in
your lives!
Your optimism is well-received here in Africa and it is always the charge I
need for my spiritual batteries!!

Just for all of you to know, I have been serving with an awesome Elder from
Tahiti, Elder Mou-Tham, and it has been great! After Three or four weeks
the President has decided to send him away to the far off land of Togo, as
well as Elder Lynch who will be going to Bè-Kpota (he is lucky!!
Amazingness awaits him!) So I will be getting my new companion, Elder
Yamapia this upcoming Friday. I have done an exchange with Elder Yamapia
before since he was in my zone over in Togo. He is Congolais, so since my
return it will be the first time working with someone from the Congo. Sad
to see Elder Mou-Tham go, especially since I am not too sure on how well I
know the secteur since we haven't really adventured in it....

I was sick one of these past weeks with malaria-like symptoms, but we are
going to say it was the flu! :) I am alive despite whatever no internet and
power says to all of you that feel neglected to not have heard from me!
Love you tons and bunches and more tons again! It is not only annoying to
be sick and uncomfortable in Africa, but especially as a missionary when
being cooped up inside is YOUR WORST NIGHTMARE!!! (At least for some
missionaries.... like me!)


*HAPPY BIRTHDAY ELDER HALE!!!!! ::D*
I have not forgotten! He is turning/now turned 21!!! Super craziness!!! We
are all getting old!!! Good news is that he will still be 21 when my pretty
little face gets back home!

AND!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY WOODRUFF TWINS!!!! :D

Just in case you were wondering, giving blood samples in an African clinic
is a strange experience and WAS NOT on my bucket list, but still can check
that off. I spent Elder Hale's birthday at the doctor's being examined, and
no matter how many times you say "don't worry I am a professional" you are
still in West Africa, and having medical issues is not pleasant. (Memories
and Souvenirs make the mission.)

Calavi is kind of awesome, despite us having nobody to teach, everything
else seems to be good. I like working in groups to see the growth and
progression of the Church, it often times makes me feel like one of the
original members in the Church in Kirtland following the prophet and
praying for miracles. You remember the comfort and the reality of where
this will all be going, and eventually in the years to come you can look
here to Benin and Togo and not see the difference between them and Provo,
Utah. Maybe one day they will have a temple here on water like the city of
Ganvia just next to us here in Calavi (not sure on the spelling), but then
I think about the whole "built upon a sure foundation" and I realize that
wooden pillars plunged into water might be more foolish than building your
"house upon the sand."

The group is held in our living room, so every Saturday we do a magically
transformation (deep cleaning) of the salon into a chapel! It is another
reminder of those meetings in upper rooms and parlors in the early days of
these latter-days. I don't know if the other missionaries that I am serving
with fully appreciate it as much as I am, but I have had the opportunity to
serve in two groups now and I learned from my first time how I should
appreciate and savor the moments here.

OH!!!! *Congratulations to Austin and Karenna on their engagement!!!*
I too am sad I won't be there for it, but I am sure you'll be happy either
way! ;) West Africa has its needs as Austin you well know! And not to be
rude, but I much preferred your photo of spirit over the other, and thanks
for sending it!!! Love ya! YOU'RE GETTING HITCHED!!!!

Aside from all that jazz I don't have much going on. Just know that I am
sorry that I am living in the third world and the luxuries of stable power
and internet are reserved for Ghana and Togo (since they get their power
from Ghana), and that Benin and Nigeria are having a little tantrum against
each other. I will be alive until you receive further word on the subject!
I send to you all my love and prayers! Be safer than me! I will try to
write you all next week!

-- 
Sincerely,
Elder Robert Haggard

Mission Bénin Cotonou
Cadjehoun Lot°1158 Bloc F
01 BP 3323
Cotonou, Bénin

No comments:

Post a Comment